The University of Georgia was the first state-charted university in the United States, dating back to January 27, 1785. Men's social groups arrived in 1866 and colonization of women's groups began in 1921.
In January 1967, members of the Delta Gamma Council established a colony and Delta Gamma became the 18th national sorority on campus. A small introductory rush party was held on April 17th in the Chapel and bids were extended at 1:00 in the morning on May 17th. Twenty-five women were pledged in the Lumpkin House Memorial Garden and the first meeting place was at the Bloomfield Terrace Apartments. These 25 women formed the bonds of friendship and sisterhood that characterize Delta Gammas everywhere.
On February 18, 1968, the colony received its charter and became a chapter at a weekend of installation festivities. Thirty-one women were initiated prior to an installation banquet themed "The Arch and the Anchor", which further unified the University of Georgia and Delta Gamma.
Land was purchased on South Milledge Avenue in the fall of 1967 and construction for a new house started after the installation banquet. The house was opened to sisters on October 19, 1969 and was the feature house on "Good Morning America's" 1983 show about sorority recruitment.
Renovations have been made to update the house in the past couple of years, including the interior and facade. Our chapter continues to focus on our foundation, Service for Sight, hosting our 13th annual Low Country Boil this past October. In 2014-2015, Delta Iota was acknowledged for acquiring the most number of service hours out of all Delta Gamma chapters. Delta Iota has been awarded the Patricia Peterson Danielson Award for the past eight years in a row, in recognition of our overall achievement of excellence to the chapter and outstanding contributions to the fraternity.